I started reading the Bible when I was young, but I would usually read it by inspiration only.. if you know what I mean. It wasn’t until I turned 22 that I started reading it through every year and developed the discipline of getting “fresh manna” every morning. I didn’t have a ton of spiritual discipline in my life growing up and I thought that if I hadn’t read the Bible first, I shouldn’t read any other self-help or business book I wanted to read either.. so for a while I didn’t get any reading done at all! Wow…
Bible reading is a discipline.. one that sounds boring to many.. but anyone who’s added simple disciplines to their life knows the rewards that come from the time put in to important & meaningful activities. Fitness takes time and work, education, relationships, health, hobbies, sports, and fun do too.. but growing in our relationship and knowledge of God yields the most lasting rewards there are.. and helps every area of our lives prosper to a better degree than they do right now. Wisdom is the most important thing to gain in life.. and the Bible is full of it! The Bible is literally too good to be true… imagine what life would look like if we had no manual for what life should look like outside of society’s best guesses? So though you may not always love reading the Bible.. you will love the results! & That may eventually carry over into you loving to read it too! I suggest listening to the Bible as often as you can – especially those parts of the Bible that can be difficult to read through – the New Testament is alway pretty interesting and I like to actually slow down to read it, a lot of the Old Testament is amazing as well, but you’ll know what I’m talking about as far as some books not being natural page turners as you get into it. Happy sailing!
Bible Plans to Get You Started:
1. Search “Bible” & download the “YouVersion” Bible App by Life.Church
2. Create an account, add friends if you’d like for accountablility.
3. Find the “Plans” Tab at the bottom of the app, then click “Find Plans” at the top of the page.
Look up & choose from the following plans: (unless you find ones you like better, but these are great!)
- “The Bible in a Year” (I’m doing this one)
- “The Bible in One Year 2018” (did this one in 2016)
- “The Entire Bible In One Year“ (looks good)
- “New Testament, Psalms, & Proverbs: For people who aren’t ready to read 3&1/2 Chapters a day
- “Psalms and Proverbs in 31 Days” (to combine the 2 and make it easier) (did this one)
- Or “Psalms” & “Proverbs” separately. (Doing Proverbs Now) See Picture Below for What Plans I Use. 🙂
Bible Reading Breakdowns:
Read or Listen When You Can:
- Listen while getting ready in the morning
- On the way to work
- While brushing your teeth and getting ready for bed
- While making breakfast or meals
- During work if you can
- Read on breaks
- Break up your reading into 2 parts if you don’t have a ton of time in the morning